Friday, January 13, 2012

Black Friday

I had told you in my previous posts that I had some good and some not so good experiences to report that had happened during my blogging absence.  Well, this one is the "not so good", well actually awful, and will probably be the most difficult post I've ever written.  Some of you are already aware of what this post will be about, but I'm writing it for those of you who have not yet been informed.

Black Friday has always held a bad connotation in my mind since the term became popular over the past several years. I was content just hearing the day referred to as "the day after Thanksgiving" when everyone went shopping.  Well, now it will forever be a real Black Friday, and one that is not associated with shopping.

For Thanksgiving, we drove down to Florida to spend the week with my Mother.  Everything was fine when we left, but when we got there, Simon seemed uncomfortable with the surroundings.  Being that he was a year older since we had been there, we didn't give it too much thought since being blind is not an easy thing when in strange surroundings, that is, until Wednesday afternoon when his demeanor seemed to worsen and his appetite began declining. Then, on Thanksgiving Day he began pacing and bumping into things.  His breathing also became belabored. In the wee hours of Friday morning his symptoms became so bad that he couldn't sleep. He started running in tight circles at rapid pace and screaming.  Being away from home we had to find a 24 hour vet hospital, which we did, that wasn't far away (and shoppers were out in droves). The vet ran some tests and took an x-ray but could not find anything seriously wrong.  What he believed Simon was dealing with was a canine type of vertigo and would go away within 2 to 3 days, so we took him back home which was now about 5AM. His breathing was extremely disturbing, though.  He seemed to have fallen asleep for only a very short period, but even then, his breathing was in short, rapid gasps. When we got up at about 8:30 in the morning, we took him out of bed, but when we put him on the floor he couldn't stand up.  I took him outside to see if he could do his business, but he immediately fell sideways, frantically panting.  At that point we knew it was much worse than vertigo, and as he was laying there on the driveway, I began saying my goodbyes. Tears were flowing down my face.  I knew, just as any mother would, that his time had come.  We drove back to the vet hospital where we were faced with making the ultimate decision.  A different vet was there who told us his lungs were beginning to fill with fluids due to his heart being overworked for such an extended period.  So, what started off as a holiday vacation ended up being disastrous with us taking little Simon P. back home in a box.

He was the light of our lives for 14 years and made us laugh every single day until the end.  Here are three of my favorite photos I would like to share with you ....

Simon's final resting place is now in our backyard and we visit him every day.

The silence in our house was deafening so I began searching the internet a few days later for Yorkie breeders with the intention of only gathering names.  I'll tell (and show) you the results of that innocent intention in my next post.

Until then,